* University College London has appointed Sally MacDonald director of UCL Museums and Collections.
* Dame Jean Thomas , professor of macromolecular biochemistry at Cambridge University, has been elected the first female master of St Catharine's College, Cambridge.
* Bath University's School of Management has appointed: Brett Martin , associate professor of marketing at the University of Auckland, professor of marketing; Avi Shankar , previously senior lecturer at Exeter University, senior lecturer in marketing; and Michael Mayer , former reader at Edinburgh University's School of Management, professor of strategic management.
* Southampton University Statistical Sciences Research Institute's new director is Sue Lewis , professor of statistics.
* Plymouth University has appointed Peter John , former dean of the faculty of education and pro vice-chancellor of education, deputy vice-chancellor.
* Pete Cooper , director of finance at Dundee University, has been appointed chair of the Chartered Institute of Public Finance and Accountancy's Further and Higher Education Panel.